Style questions

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
Matatabi

Re: Style questions

Post by Matatabi » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:49 am

cj_iwakura wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 am
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Sakura call him Ogami-san? I'm anti-honorific, but I think that should be addressed some how.

Mr. Ogami, probably.

Regarding Kohran talking in Kansai, I like the idea of making her dialogue have a more casual bent to it. Not straight up hick like Victor did to that town in Lunar, but laid back.

For a more recent professional example, look at how Yakuza 0 did Majima, another Kansai-er.
Mr. Ogami could work. I agree that it seems a little awkward having her just call him 'Ogami'. It's natural English, but it doesn't fit her level of formality.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm

Then again, calling someone Mr. anything when you're working together in a military unit also rings kind of awkward. Maybe for the first few times she talks to him but unless it's at a school I can't see anyone naturally calling a guy Mr. after spending months with him.

Sir?

Or, after some thought, couldn't Ogami work? I've been watching NCIS quite a bit lately and the two guys on the force call their commander 'Boss' or 'Sir' while the woman on the force who is fairly polite and professional calls him 'Gibbs'. The subordinates call each other by first name or last name alternately depending on the situation (though I think they only ever refer to the woman by her first name).

So maybe it's not too awkward to have them using last names, if we take into account this is a military setting. I mean since Sakura is polite we could start with Mr. Ogami early on and then maybe switch to Ogami from the 2nd chapter forward since time has passed.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Matatabi wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 pm
So maybe it's not too awkward to have them using last names, if we take into account this is a military setting. I mean since Sakura is polite we could start with Mr. Ogami early on and then maybe switch to Ogami from the 2nd chapter forward since time has passed.
I would be okay with this. Having her call him "Mr." would get a little tedious and stuffy after a while, especially if/when they start getting closer, and in scenes where she's yelling his name dramatically or worrying about him.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm currently translating the dialogue during the Tenkai battle, and at one point he brings up the term 魔界 when calling on power for his second form. Is this a term he or the other villains have used before, and if so, has anyone translated it? It seems to be a term that isn't really used in English, as it doesn't seem to have any clear translation (I've seen "world of spirits", "world where demons live", and "hell"). I'm leaning towards Hell, if only because the actual Satan is a thing in this game so it seems thematically appropriate. Then again, everything about Tenkai is extreeeemely Japanese so maybe it'd be weird...thoughts?