Style questions

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
Matatabi

Re: Style questions

Post by Matatabi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 pm

Hey so we should probably come to a consensus about some of this stuff before we get too far into the translation, since it's going along at a decent clip. Right now we need to get everyone's agreement on three items:

1. Alternative for 'Onii-chan'

2. Name(s) of the unit

3. Translation for 隊長

My votes are:

1. 'Uncle Ichiro'

2. We use the official translation from Sakura Wars 5 and use 'Imperial Combat Revue', and just 'Imperial Revue' when referring to the musical group. Not only will this keep it consistent across the games, but it keeps the reference to the Takarazuka Revue, which was a big influence on Sakura Wars.

3. Ogami should be Commander and Yoneda should be Chief

These are just my opinions/votes and I am always willing to change them if folks want to do something else. I just think we need to get this decided so we don't have to go through and fix the whole script at the end.

Eien Ni Hen

Post by Eien Ni Hen » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:16 pm

Matatabi wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:19 pm
Hey so we should probably come to a consensus about some of this stuff before we get too far into the translation, since it's going along at a decent clip. Right now we need to get everyone's agreement on three items:

1. Alternative for 'Onii-chan'

2. Name(s) of the unit

3. Translation for 隊長

1. I think we should leave it as "Onii-chan."

2. Agreed. "Imperial Combat Revue" or just "Imperial Revue" when referring to the musical group.

3. I agree with using "Chief" for Yoneda, but I prefer "Captain" for Ogami.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 pm

Actually I think you’re right with 3. I’ll change my vote to Captain for Ogami.

I’d be fine with Onii-chan too but let’s see what everyone else says.

eben

Post by eben » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:17 pm

1. I feel like onii-chan is going to be too confusing for people unfamiliar with Japanese terminology - not everyone's a big anime or Japanese video game fan (even though that's probably our target demographic to a large extent.) Also it's not like it's a completely untranslatable Japanese concept, it's just a cutesy term of endearment for an older male. I'd prefer something like Uncle Ichiro or another nickname which seems natural to people who know their relationship/Iris' personality better than I do. I'll go with onii-chan as a last resort though if people don't mind giving the gamer some Japanese homework to do. ;)

2. Imperial Revue/Combat Revue sounds great.

3. Chief and Captain sound good to me too.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm

1. I stand by what I said earlier, that I think it would be odd to leave this one Japanese term untranslated if we're taking out all the honorifics and such. It isn't exclusively Japanese, it just needs to be a cute nickname. So I like "Uncle Ichi/Ichiro", or even just "Ichi".

2. I suppose "Imperial (Combat) Revue" will work. It kind of leaves out the pun, but it gets the job done. And at the very least, it comes from an officially-translated source so there's less chance of angry fans coming down on us for it, lol.

3. Chief for Yondea and Captain for Ogami are fine.

By the way...how many translators total are working on this now? I think there may be only a few of us posting and checking the board regularly. If that's the case, we should try to establish a consensus about stuff like this with the people who don't post as often, too.

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 am

There are currently 10 translators. Not everyone is on the forum though. We can continue to add to the style sheet. For the big things like onii-Chan and whatnot, I’ll email everyone once there is a consensus.

I wonder what the Sakura Wars anime did with oniichan 🤔. I do have it so I’ll check it out.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi all! I have a few other things I wanted to bring up for style consideration:

1) 花組 - right now it's "Hana Division (?)" on the style sheet. Should we start calling this the "Flower Division" since we've been translating everything else?

2) 帝都 - Are we sticking with Teito or should we go with "the Capital" / "Imperial Capital"? If it's referred to as "Tokyo" elsewhere in the game (I can't quite remember if it is), then I think we should refer to it as the capital to avoid confusion. If it's never called Tokyo, then I think it's fine if we stick with Teito.

3) 帝劇 - how would we like to handle the shortened form of the troupe name (Teigeki)? I suppose we might need to wait on a consensus for the full name before addressing this, but we should make sure we're consistent about it. If we go with "Imperial Combat Revue", I suppose we could just go with "Revue" as the shortened form.

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:42 pm

1) I agree that it should be called Flower Division.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:48 am

1. Yeah, 'Flower Division' is my vote

2. I use 'the Capital'

3. Maybe 'the Revue'

masonvd27

Post by masonvd27 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:52 am

Hey guys, new to the translation team. I meant to get involved back in June but wasn't able to. Here now! I've read over most of this thread and I'm glad you guys seem to have decided how to solve some potential trouble spots. Happy to meet you all and looking forward to working on this