Style questions

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
masonvd27

Re: Style questions

Post by masonvd27 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 am

Need some help with this one. Tsubaki's line is "実はかすみさんと、『煉瓦亭』に食事に行く約束をしてるんです。

I'm pretty sure 煉瓦亭 is just the name of the restaurant or something? Or...some kind of pavilion? Jisho gave me nothing and Google suggested I translate it from Chinese instead of Japanese? Their Chinese translation was "Refined Pavilion". Should I just translate it as "the pavilion"?

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:00 pm

The 亭 is a suffix, it's used to formally denote restaurant names. Without that you have 煉瓦 which means brick. 'Brick Restaurant' sounds clunky so you might just leave the name as is since it's a proper name and go with Renga Restaurant.

Then again even using the word 'restaurant' seems a little awkward since in English you'd just say the name of the place so maybe just 'I promised I'd go eat with her at Renga' which would imply that it's a restaurant.

masonvd27

Post by masonvd27 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Did we ever come to a consensus on Iris? From reading through the forum it seems like everyone agrees to avoid having her speak in third person but the Onii-chan thing was contentious. I've been living it in. I figure the only people who are going to be interested in playing a fan translation of a 20 year old tactical strategy RPG/dating sim for the Sega Saturn are going to be people who are both familiar with and like the retention of those honorifics. Think Persona and stuff like that.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:05 am

The problem is we're leaving out all suffixes so the '-chan' itself will look completely out of place, and we can't have her saying 'onii'. It would draw lots of attention to itself by being the only untranslated thing we leave in that isn't a place name. I think Uncle Ichiro would work just fine.

Let's put it this way: no one is going to complain about us translating onii-chan into something else, but we WOULD get complaints for leaving it in from the random Sega Saturn enthusiasts who want to play the game but know nothing about Japanese or Japanese culture.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:10 pm

I'm with Mata on this one. Leaving out all suffixes except "oniichan" will just look awkward and kind of sloppy IMO. Style consistency is important for a more professional-looking translation, and aren't we all aiming to do the best job possible? Besides, people who will refuse to play the translation because we removed suffixes aren't going to be swayed because we left in "oniichan" as a consolation prize.

I would prefer to use Uncle Ichiro/Ichi, or maybe just Ichi, in its place. It would be nice if we can come to a solid consensus soon, so we don't have to find/replace too many instances of the word. ^_^;

masonvd27

Post by masonvd27 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 pm

Fair enough! Uncle Ichi fits well I think. Shortening it to Ichi feels more cutesy I think.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Yeah my vote's for Uncle Ichi.

Eien Ni Hen

Post by Eien Ni Hen » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:53 am

Uncle Ichi sounds good to me.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:03 pm

I noticed 衣装部屋 is listed as wardrobe room on the style sheet but isn't dressing room the usual term? Or would wardrobe room be more appropriate to theaters of this time period?

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:59 pm

I took those translations from a SW fan site when I originally created that font sheet. Feel free to change it if a different translation makes more sense.