Duplicate Text auto-fixup

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
NoahSteam
Site Admin

Duplicate Text auto-fixup

Post by NoahSteam » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:21 pm

TL;DR: The website will automatically fill in duplicate entries of the same line of dialog when a single one is translated.

As it turns out, there is a ton of duplicate text shared across files (about ~15k of the ~30k lines). Sometimes it is within the same file but a lot of times it is across files. When it is within the same file, it is usually because of the branching LIPS events. However, there is also lot of shared text between multiple files. For example the first 30 or so entries are the same across the 0100-109 files. Other sets of tiles have similar stuff going on.

There are two thing on the translation web pages that alleviate this problem for translation.

1) When there are duplicate text entries within the same file, when you enter the translation for one of these dialog entries, the webpage will automatically fill in the entries for ever other occurrence of this dialog in the file.

2)I am in the process of adding in unique ids (they're just crc hashes) for each entry. So whenever a translation is entered, your translation will end up translating the same occurrence of this line in every other file as well. For now, the duplicate lines that have been already translated will be left as they are, but in the future we will no longer end up having multiple translators translate the file line of dialog. :)

CDC64

Re: Duplicate Text auto-fixup

Post by CDC64 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Nice! I bet this'll save a lot of fiddly copy-and-pasting later.

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:18 pm

The second part of what I described just went live.

Mikeneko

Post by Mikeneko » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:15 am

Oh cool, I was wondering where the extra text came from!

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:41 am

Yup, there’s a bunch of dupicate text so this is working out well. I have an idea to reduce the time it takes to load all of the duplicate data. I’ll probably have that implemented tomorrow.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:01 pm

I just ran into a possible issue with the auto-fill for duplicate text. Certain common phrases like はい。。。。that are currently being auto-filled may require different nuances in different locations. For the hai... example, there may be a time I want Ogami to be saying 'yes' or 'of course' and there may be another time when 'yes sir' or 'yes ma'am' would be more appropriate.

Would it be possible to have some kind of text command I could put in to tell the system 'I don't want to re-write all the auto-fills for this line but I want this specific one to read different'?

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:44 pm

Sure I can look into that. In the meantime, you can manually change any entry and it won’t affect the other ones if they already have a translation.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:59 pm

Oh I didn’t realize it wouldn’t overwrite the other ones. That might be fine then.

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Yup, it only affects untranslated lines.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Hey, I had a quick question about this. There are a few cases where I went back and made edits to a line that has a duplicate after I'd already entered a translation. It's easy enough to make the same change if I can see all the duplicates in my current file, but some of them, I assume, are duplicated across files I can't see. Will there be a way to go back and make edits to those lines as well? Will we retain access to files we've already translated so we can cross-reference stuff like that?