Duplicate Text auto-fixup

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
NoahSteam
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate Text auto-fixup

Post by NoahSteam » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Great questions. Duplicates in the same file should be fixed automatically. For example if lines 1, 5, 10 are all the same, then editing one should auto fix the others, even if they have already been translated.

If you change a line that has duplicates in other files and those lines already have translations, they won't be modified. Otherwise you could be stepping on someone else translation of the same line and since the same line can be translated in different ways depending on the context, this would be a problem. I suppose the context issue could also pose a problem for duplicate lines within the same file, but I haven't really run into that.

Perhaps I could add a button next to each line which forces an update on all duplicates?

Also yes, you will remain to have access to all files you have worked on :]

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:43 am

Thanks for the reply!
If you change a line that has duplicates in other files and those lines already have translations, they won't be modified. Otherwise you could be stepping on someone else translation of the same line and since the same line can be translated in different ways depending on the context, this would be a problem. I suppose the context issue could also pose a problem for duplicate lines within the same file, but I haven't really run into that.
Well, my main concern is that there's a few lines in my current file that I translated, then later went back and made small edits to (like changing my mind about a word). Some of those lines say "true" in the duplicate column, but they don't have any duplicates in that file, so I'm worried I won't be able to make those same changes to the lines in other files. I certainly don't want to step on anyone else's translations, I just want to make sure that any changes I made to the lines I did are consistent. I'm not sure what the best way to do that would be, though.

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Ah I see. There isn't a way to force update all of the lines right now. I could add that in though.