Translation Questions

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
CrouchingMouse

Re: Translation Questions

Post by CrouchingMouse » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:50 pm

I think I understand now. Thank you, I really appreciate the assistance! =)

sarahd

Post by sarahd » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Hello Everyone,

I just posted in the Style thread, but I've been lurking around reading posts and working on my file. (And doing research/watching the YouTube video to help understand the context of the game better. I think it helped :) ).

Anyways! I'm excited to work with you all ^.^

Maybe I could get some help translating a series of lines that I just can't place.

1. Context: I'm not 100% sure what the context is which is perhaps part of the problem.
Sumire says to Sakura:
さくらさん。何も花瓶ぶつけることなかったじゃない?少尉、白目むいてるわよ。

to which Sakura says:
え?やだ、どうしょう。。。

I don't know what 白目むいてるわよ is supposed to mean. But I translated the first part as "Sakura, you didn't bump any flower vases, right?" But somehow I feel like this is really strange and that I'm confused. I know there is a part where Ogami buys flowers for Sakura and that she isn't feeling well at that point, so she's perhaps a bit clumsy. Otherwise, I don't really know why they would be talking about flower pots or why Sumire might think that Sakura bumped one...

sarahd

Post by sarahd » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:46 pm

I thought I would make this a separate comment:

Is there a set way people have been translating different types of crying/laughing noises? I am not particularly creative in this field but I have seen some good translations so far. Here is a list of some of the culprits:

1. グスッ
2. うわあんッ!
3.うーん
4.はははは (hahaha!) ?
5.へへへへ (Hehehe!) ?
6.う…ひっく…

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:19 pm

sarahd wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:39 pm
Hello Everyone,

I just posted in the Style thread, but I've been lurking around reading posts and working on my file. (And doing research/watching the YouTube video to help understand the context of the game better. I think it helped :) ).

Anyways! I'm excited to work with you all ^.^

Maybe I could get some help translating a series of lines that I just can't place.

1. Context: I'm not 100% sure what the context is which is perhaps part of the problem.
Sumire says to Sakura:
さくらさん。何も花瓶ぶつけることなかったじゃない?少尉、白目むいてるわよ。

to which Sakura says:
え?やだ、どうしょう。。。

I don't know what 白目むいてるわよ is supposed to mean. But I translated the first part as "Sakura, you didn't bump any flower vases, right?" But somehow I feel like this is really strange and that I'm confused. I know there is a part where Ogami buys flowers for Sakura and that she isn't feeling well at that point, so she's perhaps a bit clumsy. Otherwise, I don't really know why they would be talking about flower pots or why Sumire might think that Sakura bumped one...
She's saying 'Sakura, did you really need to hit him over the head with a flower vase like that? You seemed to have knocked him out cold.'

Sakura responds with 'What? I didn't mean to. What should I do...'

'Shirome muiteru' refers to someone being almost or completely knocked out IE they are showing the whites of their eyes (because their eyes have rolled back).

Edit: To break down Sumire's grammar even more, the construction 'Nanimo <action> nakkata janai?' means 'There is no reason you should done what you just did' It expresses surprise and is also a bit of scolding toward a person who just took an action that was way beyond what was proper for the situation, or completely uncalled for.

Actually 'completed uncalled for' might be the best way to render the nuance.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:17 pm

sarahd wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:46 pm
I thought I would make this a separate comment:

Is there a set way people have been translating different types of crying/laughing noises? I am not particularly creative in this field but I have seen some good translations so far. Here is a list of some of the culprits:

1. グスッ
2. うわあんッ!
3.うーん
4.はははは (hahaha!) ?
5.へへへへ (Hehehe!) ?
6.う…ひっく…
My two cents on this: since Japanese sound effects are often quite different from how we tend to render those same sounds in English, I tend to think it's better to try and "localize" them. In other words, imagine how you would've originally written the line or sound effect in English if it was your own work and you weren't translating it from Japanese. Does that make sense? xp

Without knowing the context, I'll try and give some of these a shot.

1. This seems like a crying/sobbing noise. We don't have a specific SFX for this in English, so I might just render it as *sob* to get the point across.
2. A gasp of surprise? "Uwaah!"
3. This looks like a "hmmm" sound.
6. This seems like hiccuping, so you could just go with *hic*

I find this website really useful for looking up sound effects in Japanese. Hope this helps!

masonvd27

Post by masonvd27 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 am

What are we referring to the currency as? It’s 銭 in the game. I'm fine with just using Yen.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Yen or Zeni, yeah. I could swear I've seen zeni used elsewhere in translated Japanese games but I can't remember where.

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 am

I've been using "zeni" but I don't have a preference. I can change it if everyone prefers something else.

cj_iwakura

Post by cj_iwakura » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 am

I swear I've heard 'zenny' somewhere before too... probably some off the wall currency in another JRPG.

"Zenny. Zenny (ゼニー) is a fictional in-game currency created by Capcom which appear in many of their games, such as the Mega Man franchise and the Breath of Fire series."

That explains it, lol.

Going deeper down the rabbit hole...

"Zeni is definitely seen in many animations or games, but it was originally a form of currency in Japan back around early 1700’s. Zeni are the equivalent of what we call “loose change” these days, just coins people had.

One of the significant uses of zeni was in free print. Early modern Japan was built on the culture of free print, where anybody could write and publish writing for free. They would bring their writing to a sponsor and get their word printed and distributed for free."

https://www.quora.com/When-was-the-Zenn ... s-currency

Sounds like it's a historical thing.