Translation Questions

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
Mikeneko

Translation Questions

Post by Mikeneko » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:03 am

Hey, I wonder if anyone could help me out with drunk Sumire? I found the equivalent scene on YouTube, but that translator had given up as well. It starts at 22:21 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPAblg_ ... TINUTSCj9o

There’s this:

らり、からくるひい
かおひてんのよお。
ひょういったら?

And then this bit:

わらくひの、このみよお?

I’d appreciate any suggestions on what she’s supposed to be saying. Thanks!

Eien Ni Hen

Re: Translation Questions

Post by Eien Ni Hen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:21 am

Damn, those lines are tough. Sumire's really slurring her words...

I *think* this is what she's saying in regular Japanese:

こり、からくる
顔してんのよお。
ひょっとしたら?

Your face looks all bent outta shape, y'know?

私の、この見様?

Ya feel me?

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:20 pm

My take is:
何、堅苦しい
顔してんのよお。
'Why're you looking so serious?' or 'Why the serious face?'
ひょういったら is a mystery, except that たら is a sort of flirtatious ending to a sentence women use. I'd just hand-wave this with something drunken, she's probably just saying some form of 'loosen up'.

The other part is
わたくしの好みよお?
Or 'You're my type, you know?' meaning she likes guys like him. (at least when she's drunk)

Eien Ni Hen

Post by Eien Ni Hen » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Matatabi wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:20 pm
My take is:
何、堅苦しい
顔してんのよお。
'Why're you looking so serious?' or 'Why the serious face?'
ひょういったら is a mystery, except that たら is a sort of flirtatious ending to a sentence women use. I'd just hand-wave this with something drunken, she's probably just saying some form of 'loosen up'.

The other part is
わたくしの好みよお?
Or 'You're my type, you know?' meaning she likes guys like him. (at least when she's drunk)
This makes a lot more sense than my shot-in-the-dark guesses. And yeah, Sumire's totally flirting with Ogami. :D

Mikeneko

Post by Mikeneko » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Awesome, thank you so much!

eben

Post by eben » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am

Hey! New translator here. I've been reading up on the story but not completely sure of how to translate 花やしき支部. I saw that someone translated it as the Garden branch, but would the Hanayashiki branch be better? It's just an area in Tokyo right?

Eien Ni Hen

Post by Eien Ni Hen » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:17 pm

eben wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am
Hey! New translator here. I've been reading up on the story but not completely sure of how to translate 花やしき支部. I saw that someone translated it as the Garden branch, but would the Hanayashiki branch be better? It's just an area in Tokyo right?
I think translating 花やしき支部 as "Hanayashiki Branch" would be best because it's a proper noun. Hanayashiki is the name of an amusement park in Tokyo.

eben

Post by eben » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:24 pm

Great! Thank you :D

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm a little stuck on a couple lines, could someone lend me a hand? I've bolded the parts I'm unsure of.

1) [context: Ayame, after Ogami won't tell her about his issue with Maria]
Ayame: いいのよ。誰だって、そうやって悩んで強くなっていくんだから。
Having trouble figuring out how this fits into the sentence. Does she mean your worries grow stronger..? (this is probably some dumb Japanese 101 thing I'm missing ugh)

2) [context: Kanna just caught Ogami peeking at her in the shower]
Kanna: がせっかく鍛錬した後の汗を気持ちよく洗い流してたのに...
Why does she use 人 here instead of あたい, is she talking about people in general?

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 am

1. Typical Japanese lack of indicating the subject. Based on the context what she's saying here is '[Maria (implied)] will grow stronger by overcoming these worries' or perhaps 'These worries will make her stronger'. The conjugation 'natteyuku/natteiku' means to become something over time.

2. Just like in English we sometimes say, for example: 'you should listen when someone is speaking to you' when the person is really talking about themselves, Japanese has the same thing. It's generally used when dressing someone down, so in this case 'you shouldn't be peeping when someone is in here trying to wash away some sweat after training'

Only more, y'know, Kanna-esque than that.