Style questions

All linguistics can be discussed here -- this is the place to go to for discussion of how character names, item names, etc., should be translated.
Matatabi

Re: Style questions

Post by Matatabi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 pm

I've been dithering on what to have Kanna call Ogami for a while. I've been defaulting to 'sir' but that seems a little too formal for her. Maybe 'boss'? 'Sir' is good for Sumire, Maria and Sakura who are all on the more formal side, but Kohran has Chief, Iris has Uncle Ichi and I think we need something for Kanna. She's informal like Kohran but not as silly.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:34 am

Also someone with knowledge of the later games in the series pointed out that Sumire makes a point in 2 of calling Ichiro by his new rank because he ranks up between games, so it might be best for us to switch back to her calling him 'Ensign' so the switch will be obvious in game 2.

I guess it would be best to just say each girl has their own way of referring to him:
Maria: Sir (or Ensign if she's using his full title)
Sumire: Ensign
Sakura: Ogami (does she ever call him anything else?)
Kanna: Boss (or something else... I'm open to suggestions)
Kohran: Chief
Iris: Uncle Ichi

Thoughts?

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 pm

I've been having Sumire call him "Ensign" because there's a gag in the first chapter where she keeps getting his name wrong so she says "well I'll just call you Ensign because it's easier to remember". I think Sakura always calls him Ogami, and I think Kohran usually does, too? Except during battle situations. Also, I might be mistaken but I thought we were going with "Captain" for his rank within the Imperial Revue - 隊長 - unless "chief" is just Kohran's particular way of addressing that rank? But anyway, if we're going to have them all address him differently, I think "Boss" sounds appropriate for Kanna. It sounds slightly informal and rough, like the way she speaks.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 am

Right you are, after going back through the thread I did see that was what we were going to have him called. Thanks!

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Couple of things I've run into in my current file:

- Kohran invents a lie detector she calls "Makoto-kun", which is a pun on 誠 meaning "truth". Any ideas for clever pun names in English? My first thought was something dumb like T. Ruth, but I'd love more ideas. I'm pretty bad with jokes and puns >_>

- They go to a movie theater, but I'm not sure if they'd be called "movies" in the 1920's. Should I go with something more old-fashioned sounding like "motion pictures"? Not sure what they were commonly called back then.

Matatabi

Post by Matatabi » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:39 am

For movies maybe say they're going to the cinema or going to see a film?

I named Kohran's party robot 'Partybot' so maybe 'Truthbot'? Not terribly original but then again her naming sense is pretty straightforward.

masonvd27

Post by masonvd27 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:31 am

Hey guys, sorry I've been MIA for a while. Busy with school and all that. Hope everything is going well with the translation.

For movies, plenty of options I'd think. Cinema, motion picture, film, even something like "Talkie" if you wanna sound really old fashioned.

cj_iwakura

Post by cj_iwakura » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:58 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Sakura call him Ogami-san? I'm anti-honorific, but I think that should be addressed some how.

Mr. Ogami, probably.

Regarding Kohran talking in Kansai, I like the idea of making her dialogue have a more casual bent to it. Not straight up hick like Victor did to that town in Lunar, but laid back.

For a more recent professional example, look at how Yakuza 0 did Majima, another Kansai-er.
Last edited by cj_iwakura on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Post by NoahSteam » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 am

I wonder how they handled the honorifics in the manga and the anime 🤔. Also, should we use Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love as a reference as far as this question goes? Personally I don’t mind either way.

cj_iwakura

Post by cj_iwakura » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:06 am

NoahSteam wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:03 am
I wonder how they handled the honorifics in the manga and the anime 🤔. Also, should we use Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love as a reference as far as this question goes? Personally I don’t mind either way.
It's not a bad template, but that's 95% brand new characters(Sakura and Ogami are only in the VERY beginning), so I don't think anyone's going to care about that as a point of reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is8FLTkY4bw
(2:39)

She calls him Commander Ogami in the dub. and he calls her Miss Shinguji. (Both of which I agree with)

Lol, I just now realize that's the original music, too.