Introductions

For anything that doesn't fit in the other forums.
Matatabi

Introductions

Post by Matatabi » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:59 pm

Let's get to know the team!

My name is Matatabi, and you can feel free to call me any shortening of that. I live in the US and work as a translator at a big car company. Even though I translate all day for my job, I just love it so much that I also do it for fun as a hobby on the side. Plus all the stuff I translate at work is boring so it's nice to work on something creative.

I lived in Japan for 4 years, 2 as a student, 2 as a 'professional gaijin'. I worked at a city hall doing whatever they needed an American to do; sister city relation stuff, community outreach, English help hotline, tourism consulting and a whole lot of document/website translation. I really miss living there.

I had only vaguely heard of Sakura Taisen before moving to Japan, but while I was over there I had a Japanese friend who was absolutely obsessed and he talked me into trying it out and I totally loved it. Ever since my first exposure I've been looking out for any possible translation efforts, and I'm very happy I got in on the ground floor for this one.

My other hobbies besides translating are writing (I'm actually trying to get published writing fantasy novels for younger readers) and painting miniatures. I also really like playing JRPGs.

NoahSteam
Site Admin

Re: Introductions

Post by NoahSteam » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:04 am

It's great you do something you love that much!

I've been a professional game programmer for a little more than 10 years now. I've shipped six titles in that time and currently busy working on the next title. Just like you, I enjoy what I do enough that I also program on the side. These days whatever extra time I have I work on this patch. That includes skipping out on lunch so I can work on this instead :D I usually don't get a whole lot of time because I've got a little kid, but when he's asleep and I'm not totally pooped, I'll work on this. I've been working on this for a few months so far. That time was spent studying the Saturn's architecture and this game's file formats. Also a bit of time getting this site working.

I know a few other people have attempted to patch this game in the past, but I imagine they didn't succeed because they didn't have the right tools to get the job done. Finding and fixing up the data in this game by hand would basically be impossible. Also, if it wasn't for Yabause's amazing emulator&debugger, this would also be impossible. If we can hammer through the translation part of the project, the rest of it (patching the actual data) is basically done, aside from a few bugs. So I'm hopeful that this game can be patched before the end of the year, which would be pretty friggen awesome.

I was involved with the Dragon Force 2 English patch a few years ago. That gave me enough experience to figure out everything about this game from scratch. That's also how I encountered Turbo, who has been kind enough to reach out to the translators who worked on DF2. Hopefully more of them join in!

Eien Ni Hen

Post by Eien Ni Hen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm Eien Ni Hen. I work as a freelance translator, and I also translate video games as a hobby. Most notably, I've worked on all three of the "Romancing SaGa" games. I watched the Sakura Taisen anime when I was younger and really enjoyed it, so I thought it would be fun to help out with this project.

My other hobbies are cooking, gardening, hiking, and canoeing. I live on a farm with my wife, three cats, and six chickens. :)

CrouchingMouse

Post by CrouchingMouse » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi everyone! I'm CrouchingMouse. I'm not a professional translator (yet), but I'm trying to get my foot in the door and find some work, and doing lots of practice/volunteer stuff in the meantime to improve. I've mostly been working on manga, but lately I've branched out into video games because they're my true passion.

I first heard of Sakura Wars a few years ago through an article I read about the series online, and I decided to try playing it since I figured it could be good language practice. I spent about 2 or 3 weeks trying to get some version of the games working on my laptop before giving up...my machine just isn't powerful enough to handle them I guess, lol. But I'm excited for another chance to get my hands on the series, in some fashion. I promise I won't go into this without at least doing some research first, even if I can't really play the game.

Aside from translating, I play video games (the Zelda series is my favorite, and I also love Tales of), do a bit of writing, occasionally make cosplay outfits/props, and spend time with my husband and cat.

masonvd27

Post by masonvd27 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:30 pm

Hey guys,

I'm Mason. I'm a university student from Canada. I've lived in Japan, cumulatively, for about a year in total. I did a roughly half year working holiday in 2016 and last year I spent six months studying abroad at Kansai Gaidai University near Osaka. My Japanese isn't perfect by any means but I passed the JLPT N3 last year and I've been continuing my studies since then. I'm hoping to take N2 this December but I don't think I'm quite prepared. We'll see!

I'm hoping to get into translation/localization after I graduate so I figured I should try to both A) Get some experience and B) Try it out to see if I actually enjoy it. So far so good!

I heard about Sakura Taisen last year when I was getting into Saturn collecting. I love tactical RPGs, the original FFTactics is my favourite but I'm a fan of Front Mission, Fire Emblem and others as well. Beyond that, everything else about this game seems appealing to me. I love the Taisho aesthetic, I love the 90s anime aesthetic and I love the Saturn. I actually own a Japanese Saturn and a legit copy of the game that I picked up while living in Osaka, though I haven't gotten too far into it.

Fun fact: I've actually been to a Takarazuka Show as part of one of my classes while I was studying abroad. It was really enjoyable, despite only understanding 75% of the dialogue. High recommended, if you ever get the chance!

Anyway, nice to meet you all!